Multi-agency work

Multi-agency work

At the Forwards Centre, we believe that children are best supported using the skills of a wide range of professionals. Some children are already involved with agencies before they arrive at the centre and sometimes we will refer them to a service if we think that they can help. Click on the links for more information.

Bolton Local Authority – Bolton Local Authority is the main commissioner of places with the Forwards Centre. This is done through their Inclusion Manager and we meet monthly to provide updates, discuss any arising issues and to ensure that when pupils leave us they are moving on to appropriate provision in a timely way.

Schools – Unless a child has been permanently excluded from their school, they are dual registered and remain on the roll of their primary school during their time with us. We liaise with schools and provide information on how they are progressing and how we think they might be best supported once they return.

Educational Psychology Service – We often call on the services of an educational psychologist to help us uncover or understand any learning needs that children entering the centre may have. This is a cornerstone to helping us meet children’s needs and may form part of a full special educational needs assessment. You can visit Bolton special education needs assessment page here. 

Speech and Language Therapy Service – The S&L team support some of our children by assessing a child’s communication skills and providing advice on how best to support and develop those skills during their time in the centre. You find find out more about the Speech & Language for children service here. 

Paediatric Learning Disability Service (PLDS) – If we think that child needs support with a learning difficulty, we may refer into the PLDS. They are a team of registered learning disability nurses, assistant practitioners and health care assistants employed by Bolton NHS Foundation Trust.They have specialist knowledge and skills to help children and young people who have learning disabilities or global development delay (where two or more milestones in all areas of development have not been reached) and an additional health need. You can download their information leaflet here and visit their website here. 

Occupational Therapy for Children (OT Service) – The OT service provide an occupational therapy service to children from birth to 16 years of age. They provide therapeutic programmes, specialist equipment, advice, short term loan equipment, informal training and hands on therapy, working with the children, their parents and carers to empower them to manage their condition. Intervention is provided in a variety of settings including at home, at their place of education, on the neonatal ward and in clinics. You can find out more about the service here. 

CAMHS (Community Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) – A significant proportion our our children are supported by CAMHs. We cannot make direct referrals ourselves but children often arrive having been referred by another service such as Behaviour Support or an Educational Psychologist. CAMHS work with children and young people to help them cope when they are having problems relating to how they feel, how they think about things and sometimes how they behave. They offer assessment and treatment for a wide range of things such as ADHD and the autistic spectrum. You can find out more at CAMHS here. It includes some helpful videos showing what to expect if you visit. 

Ladywood Outreach Service – We may refer into Ladywood Outreach if we think a child may have dyslexic tendencies or has a complexity of learning and communication difficulties (including the full range of Autistic Spectrum Disorders). We use their expertise to ensure that the provision we give each individual child is appropriate and supportive. For some pupils, we use their schemes of work to break down some of the parts of the national curriculum into achievable steps. You can visit their website here.  

Behaviour Support Service – Bolton’s Behaviour Support Service (BSS) do not work with any children directly during their time in the centre, however we do liaise with them closely as they have worked with many of our children prior to their arrival at the centre. Where a receiving school buy into their service, we also liaise with BSS to support transition when a child is leaving us. If we think that a child needs support from CAMHS (see above), we may ask them to visit them in the centre and make that referral.

Youth Challenge Primary – YCP is another part of the Bolton Impact Trust. They support children 2 days a week for a fixed period and in most cases a child should access their provision before being considered for a place at the Forwards Centre. During their time at YCP, if it becomes apparent that a child needs a higher level of support, they will then recommend that the local authority commission a 5 day place at the Forwards Centre. We liaise closely to plan provision for each individual child. You can find out more about Youth Challenge Primary here. 

Looked After Children – A significant proportion of the children arriving at the centre have been looked after at some point in their lives and are supported by a network of relevant agencies. Children often arrive at the Forwards Centre at a time that they are finding extremely challenging and we work with any agencies involved to provide some consistency and stability during this time. You can find out more about Bolton’s support for looked after children here. 

Early Intervention Team – Attendance at the Forwards Centre is very good for the vast majority of pupils. On the very rare occasions that we think that a child and family need further support, we may refer them in to the Early Intervention Team. You can find out more about their service here. 

Urban Outreach – Urban Outreach are a voluntary sector organisation providing invaluable support to the families of a number of our children. Their Family First (Troubled Families) programme supports families and children experiencing multiple issues and exclusion. You can visit their website and find out much more about the work that they do here. 

Fortalice – Fortalice provide emergency accommodation and a range of support services to assist women, children and young people who have or are experiencing domestic abuse and to raise personal and public awareness of the issue relating to domestic abuse and its impact on society. If we think that a child may benefit from their support, we may refer into their service. You can find out more about the support they offer here.

Bolton Safeguarding Children’s Board – We support children through Bolton’s Framework for Action. We are committed to supporting children through the Early Help Assessment (EHA) process and refer any safeguarding concerns on to the local authority. We refer in to Bolton’s Integrated Working Team on a regulate basis to ensure that our approach is effective and follows statutory guidelines. Their website has information for professionals, families and children. You can find out more here. 

Targeted Youth – Targeted Youth Support is a community based service that works with young people aged 8 – 17 years old and their families who are at risk of becoming involved in anti-social behaviour and/or offending.The service also works with young people who have significant welfare concerns that are associated with poor outcomes. They offer one to one support and group interventions to resolve any issues identified. If we feel that a child may benefit from this support then we may refer into the service. You can find out more here. 

Youth Offending Team (YOT) – YOT work with young people who have entered or may enter the youth justice system. They offer a specialist service with the aim of reducing offending. There may be occasions when we think that a child may be at risk of being drawn into offending and we may make a referral into their service. You can find out more here. 

Bolton 360 – On very rare occasions we may make a referral into Bolton 360 if we think that a child is vulnerable or at risk of becoming involved in substance misuse. They are an NHS based service and provide individual packages of support. You can find out more here.